In addition to the information here, other documentation is listed on the main ns-2 web page.
The ns Manual
The ns Manual (formerly known as ns Notes and Documentation) is the main source of documentation. It is available in four formats:
- This wiki. The index is below.
- ns manual html format
- ns manual gzip'ed postscript format
- ns manual pdf format
Th html/gzip/pdf manual should be automatically updated daily (please send mail to ns-users if this automatic version is incorrect). In addition (because this automated process breaks sometimes, we have a manually updated copy as well in html, ps.gz, pdf).
Because ns is an evolving system, its documentation will never be completely up-to-date, but we do try to update it from time to time when new facilities are added to the simulator. Please check it out if you are in need of a reference.
Wiki version of the ns Manual
Several pages of the ns Manual have been copied below, to harness the power of the wiki community. (This is an unauthorised experiment. This manual may diverge from the official manual in adverse ways.)
- Manual: Introduction
- Manual: Undocumented Facilities
Section I "Interface to the interpreter"
- Manual: OTcl Linkage
Section II "Simulator basics"
- Manual: The Class Simulator
- Manual: Nodes and Packet Forwarding
- Manual: Links: Simple Links
- Manual: Queue Management and Packet Scheduling
- Manual: Delays and Links
- Manual: Differentiated Services Module in ns
- Manual: Agents
- Manual: Timers
- Manual: Packet Headers and Formats
- Manual: Error Model
- Manual: Local Area Networks
- Manual: The (Revised) Addressing Structure in ns
- Manual: Mobile Networking in ns
- Manual: Satellite Networking in ns
- Manual: Radio Propagation Models
- Manual: Energy Model in ns
- Manual: Directed Diffusion
- Manual: XCP: eXplicit Congestion control Protocol
- Manual: DelayBox: Per-Flow Delay and Loss
- Manual: Changes made to the IEEE 802.15.4 Implementation in NS-2.31
Section III "Support"
- Manual: Debugging ns
- Manual: Mathematical Support
- Manual: Trace and Monitoring Support
- Manual: Test Suite Support
- Manual: Dynamic Libraries
- Manual: ns Code Styles
Section IV "Routing"
- Manual: Unicast Routing
- Manual: Multicast Routing
- Manual: Network Dynamics
- Manual: Hierarchical Routing
Section V "Transport"
- Manual: UDP Agents
- Manual: TCP Agents
- Manual: SCTP Agents
- Manual: Agent/SRM
- Manual: PLM
Section VI "Application"
- Manual: Applications and transport agent API
- Manual: Web cache as an application
- Manual: Worm Model
- Manual: PackMime-HTTP: Web Traffic Generation
- Manual: Tmix: Internet Traffic Generation
Section VII "Scale"
- Manual: Session-level Packet Distribution
- Manual: Asim: approximate analytic simulation
Section VIII "Emulation"
- Manual: Emulation
Section IX "Visualization with Nam - The Network Animator"
- Manual: Nam
- Manual: Nam Trace
Section X "Other"
- Manual: Educational use of NS and NAM